Things I've Made

 

For an alternate view (work in progress), click here.

Here's a skirt I made in January 2007. It had been cut out for a year and a half. I used simplicity 4881. The picture is blurry due to a cheap digital camera or the wind...

 

Here's a skirt I made in May 2005 using Simplicity 9363, view B. The fabric is a woven poly/rayon twill in a dark eggplant purple color. The waistband is stolen from the following skirt (Simplicity 5867). The blouse was bought at Dress Barn. I bought the red shoes a few months ago, and these are my favorite shoes. Once again, Marco Polo just had to get in on the action.

After losing the original shell button from the bottom of the blouse and the replacement button, I bought decorative square buttons and alternated them. I've included the two button styles so you can see. After all, I did NOT want to replace all five buttons!

Here's a skirt I made in January 2005 using Simplicity 5867. The fabric is a woven stretch poly with a lengthwise rib. The waistband is a folded bias piece with elastic in it; the pattern calls for a drawstring, which I omitted. I've taken this in twice, taking almost two inches out of each side, tapering to a flare at the hem. I originally cut it in a size 18. Even though my hips currently match the next pattern size down, there's still plenty of room after all that "taking in." The blouse was bought at JC Penney. I took my shoes off after work, and Marco Polo just had to get in on the action.

The third picture shows the waist band. You can see what it looks like at the side seams on the inside and the outside.

 
 

Here are the pillowcases I made in August 2003, all from stash, all cottons. About one third of them are king sized to fit my husband's long pillow. The first one on the left is a corduroy pillow case. All the rest are made as classic pillow cases. All the white ones are liners, four made from a sheet given to me, about 300 thread count pure cotton that must be ironed. Two with blue flowers are Hoffman challenge fabric from no later than 1998. The vague print is the "wrong side" of decorator fabric I got two years ago to make slopers for PMB; I don't like the print, so this is useful as a liner. The stripes are from a sheet given to me from which had been cut in big waves from each end as if window toppers had been cut from it. The print with green leaves is a heavier weave from a bolt in the decorating department at Joann's, and has only been in my stash about a year; these will fit in my daughter's room quite nicely, as her bed frame is dark green with grape leaves and her sheets are also dark green. The shell print has been in my stash since before 1998, and is left over from making a shower curtain. What looks like checks is a Patrick Lose fabric in royal blue and ink purple, probably from the same year as the flowers.

Here's a dress I made in July 2003 using Butterick 4817 (out of print), lengthened it, added some flare, added a casing and elastic to form an empire waist, and made a head band with the scraps. The shoulders were too narrow, so I decided to try a PMB pattern. See dresses and tops with PMB pattern! As usual, Marco was happy that mommy finally picked him up:

Paul wearing a shirt I made for him in May 2001 using McCall's 7083. Here's also an apron I made for him in November 2001 using Stretch & Sew 4015. Click here and here to see more things I've made for him!

Purple skirt and blouse which I made for Easter 1998. The skirt instructions are here. The blouse is an old Vogue 8119.

Tan girl's long skirt made in September 2001 for my daughter using Butterick 5447 (same skirt shown in 2 light conditions).

Here's a swimsuit I had made for my daughter in 1997 using Stretch & Sew 1201, and another one I had made for her in August of 2001 using McCall's 8813. I also made her a shirt using an old KwikSew pattern, and a batik fabric dress in 2001 (pattern number long forgotten):

Not sewing, just fabric painting on a futon cover.

Here I'm wearing a dress I made in September 2001 using Butterick 6590, followed by a pair of PJ shorts I made with drawcord elastic for my husband in December 2001 using KwikSew 2417.

Here I'm wearing a dress I made in June 2001 using Simplicity 7541, showing fitting detail around the arm socket. Something about the pivot and slide method makes it fit better on the first try, especially no underarm gap, but my dress needs to be adjusted for shoulder slant. The clothes I make with PMB do not have this problem.

I actually made lined roman blinds in March 2002 for my husband's office: